Friday, December 8, 2006

Door Opening/Closing Etiquette at Work

At my regular day job, I sit right by the door, in a spot where I'm the first one people see when they walk in. I have sat at that desk for at least 300 days now and would say that I am a bona fide expert in door opening/closing etiquette.

What, you may be asking, kind of etiquette can there possibly be when it comes to opening and/or closing the front door to an office? Well, glad you asked. Here are 5 elements of etiquette in front door usage:

  1. Greeting: If you use the same damn line each time you enter in the morning, you are not being considerate of others. It's time you expand your mind and think of something more original and interesting than "Good morning". No, it's not a good morning, so don't start the day by lying to me as such, which leads me to rule #2...
  2. Follow-up chatter: After the trite, unoriginal greeting, 98% of door enterers (yes, I made that word up) the next comment or question will immediately pertain to the weather. Everybody's a meteorologist when s/he opens the door. "Miserable day out there!" Great! Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't quite sure. Or, "Wow, gorgeous day today". Yes, I know and I'm seething because I'm sitting at a desk instead of being out and enjoying the day. Thanks for the reminder. Which brings me to rule #3...
  3. No need to comment on the temperature inside. If it's warm in the office, I'm well aware of it. If it's cold and drafty in the office, again, it has been brought to my attention by my epidermis. I deem this unnecessary small talk and is not worthy of my attention.
  4. If you have to make more than one trip to/from your car, bring all of your sh*t to the door, open it and bring it outside and leave. I don't need to see you coming in or leaving twice, nor do I need to hear the door slamming twice. Just get in, get out and be done with it already.
  5. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. This is just a matter of common courtesy.

No comments: