Saturday, January 19, 2008

Star Wars Observation, Episode I


I just watched the last half of "The Empire Strikes Back" on HBO. Loved that movie. Well all three of the original Stars Wars episodes. (I couldn't bear to watch the more recent prequels with their CG heavy nonsense scenes, but that's a different topic for a different day.)

I realize that this is all fictional and that there are countless ways that George Lucas could have incorporated unknown technologies into these classics, but there's one thing in particular that bugs me that he missed out on.

Throughout "Empire" and undoubtedly throughout the other episodes, there are countless chase scenes where the TIE Fighters are chasing after the Millenium Falcon. Inevitably they miss a thousand times more than they hit, but okay, we'll let that slide. My real issue here is: how hard would it have been for the builders of the Falcon (fictional as they may be) to install laser guns IN THE BACK of the ship so it could shoot at any other ships that were in its wake?

I reckon that this would have taken a lot of suspense out of the movie, since the Falcon would certainly have been able to fend off any chasers quite easily, but it's just one of those things that make you smack yourself on the forehead and say, "D'oh!"

So let that be a lesson to all of you future spaceship engineers out there: install guns facing behind the ship to fend off any evil followers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

(By the way, the picture comes from this site, which provides a wealth of knowledge about technology used in Star Wars... now if only I had time to read the whole thing!)

No comments: