Thursday, January 4, 2007

Dental Floss: A String-le Hold on Your Wallet...

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy something. Buyer's remorse, is the psychological terminology I suppose. But let's look at dental floss. I'm going to start with this key point:

It's plastic string.

Sure, it may be flavored, or it may "glide" more easily than others, but when you get right down to it, it's still plastic string. I cannot possibly see how it could cost more than 10 cents per package to make it. Add in the cost for the box and other packaging, and maybe we're looking at a 25 cent total cost. Let's be crazy and say it costs a buck to make, ship, market, stock, and whatever else for a premium, 40 yard box of dental floss.

Yet, I go to the store, even a discount store like Target, and a package of Glide costs $3.44 to buy this plastic string. Drugstore.com, sells it for even more at $3.89. Even at a high cost estimate of $1, this is a markup of more than 300 percent!!! Is that just loony or is it me? It's plastic string!

True, the lower end models cost less, but my feeling is that the cost differences aren't all that different. Some plastic string is better than others, but let's be real... plastic string is plastic string.

By the way, I recently read this article about cutting your health care costs (see tip #49) that says you can save $200-$2,000 per tooth by flossing everyday. And my trustworthy dentist verified this notion. So maybe I'll bite my tongue, swallow my pride, and just buy the stupid stuff.

Doesn't mean I have to like it!

No comments: