Thursday, January 11, 2007

8 Things I'd Like to See Disappear from America by 2010

Sure, there's more than 8 things that I would like to see removed from the American landscape. But, here's a start...
  1. Paris Hilton: Need I say more?
  2. Preposterous health insurance plans: There's got to be a better way than paying skyrocketing premiums for high deductible plans, not to mention having millions of people uninsured or under insured. I understand there are a lot of factors here, but I can't imagine the system being worse than it currently is.
  3. Gas stations: I cannot wait for the day when I no longer have to fill up my car at a gas station. Granted, gas stations have served a long history as being that last resort for getting directions, grabbing an overpriced and undercooked hot dog, or squeegeeing your windshield, but every time I think about where the gas I'm buying comes from (a foreign country), how it gets to me (via sophisticated and dangerous logistics), how much it costs (a good 50 bucks a week for getting to work), and what it's doing to the environment (not much good, that's for sure), I want to gag. I also want to gag thinking about people who actually buy those hot dogs.
  4. American Idol: Yup, I'll be the first to admit I can't stand the show. Are we this desperate for live music and up and coming talent that we have to watch a bunch of karaoke hacks sing other people's songs and generally make fools of themselves? Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to real comedy, like The Office.
  5. Bad teeth: It is too easy and affordable not to have presentable teeth in this day and age. Brush. Floss. Go to dentist. Done.
  6. Toys, ad nauseum: I know too many kids who have stockpiles of toys, 95% of which are never used more than once (or even opened). I was an only child growing (still am!) and generally got what I wanted. However, I honestly didn't ask for all that much... I've always been tough to buy for because I have rather simple tastes. When I look at the gifts that people shower on their kids nowadays, I can't help but think about what a monumentally spoiled and materialistic society that will be leading our future. Good for the economy, but at what cost?
  7. Bad advertising: It's everywhere. I work in the industry and sometimes I just hang my head in shame about the poor marketing that is done out there. Just imagine how much better this world would be if commercials/ads where entertaining AND effective at driving sales. There's got to be a way.
  8. Wars: Well, I guess I can't have everything. But I can always hope!

No comments: