Saturday, July 21, 2007

Baseball: A Unique but Changing Entertainment Venue

Baseball has seen its ups and downs over the years. Used to be that crowds would pack stadiums and root, root, root for the home team. Well, that kinds of died off around the 80s or 90s. But now the crowds are back again. But lately, baseball seems to have changed from a casual but intellectual and dramatic sport to watch, to a passive but big bang form of entertainment.

Allow me to clarify. Growing up as a kid, I became very enamored with the details and minutiae of the game. Like when the 2nd baseman and shortstop communicate with "mouth signals" (open mouth or big grin) to each other when there's a runner on first. Or trying to predict what type of pitch to throw on a 2-1 count with runners on base.

Now, fans go to games, wander around the stadium, buy food, browse for team merchandise, people-watch, and maybe catch an inning here or there. And hope a big dude cracks a home run.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm pretty sure the powers that be in the baseball world are content.

Just my hunch. But enough about my thoughts, let me go back to watching the Phils and Padres.

No comments: